Teaching and Research Assistant in Computer Science
University of Sheffield Department of Computer Science
United Kingdom

Contract Type: Fixed-term for a period of six years.

Faculty: Faculty of Engineering



Salary for Grade 6: £26,243 - £30,395 per annum with potential to progress to £33,199 through sustained exceptional contribution.



As part of an ambitious strategy for growth, the Department of Computer Science is pleased to invite applications for three Teaching and Research Assistant positions.


These posts provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in an academic career to develop their profile. A six-year development pathway, the posts involve you undertaking a part-time PhD as a staff candidate in 55% of your role while providing teaching support for the other 45%.


This role provides the opportunity for you to pursue your research interests through your PhD and to develop your research profile. Alongside this, you will take a proactive role in supporting teaching in the department, allowing you to gain valuable teaching experience at the same time as pursuing your academic studies. You will provide teaching support by demonstrating and supporting students in laboratory classes and by leading tutorials and small group teaching activities. You will be guided and supported in both your research and teaching skills development by experienced academic staff. You will benefit from the vibrant research environment of your research group, and take an active role in delivering an excellent student experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.


You should have a first degree (at least Upper Second Class) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or a related numerate subject.


We're one of the best not-for-profit organisations to work for in the UK. The University's Total Reward Package includes a competitive salary, a generous Pension Scheme and annual leave entitlement, as well as access to a range of learning and development courses to support your personal and professional development.


In your application, please indicate the area of your research interest and suggest a suitable project supervisor (see our staff list at www.sheffield.ac.uk/dcs/people/academic). You must also include a research proposal in your application, which outlines the proposed topic for PhD study, the questions being addressed, methodology used, and likely contribution to theory and practice with reference to existing literature.


We build teams of people from different heritages and lifestyles whose talent and contributions complement each other to greatest effect. We believe diversity in all its forms delivers greater impact through research, teaching and student experience. The Department of Computer Science holds a Silver Athena SWAN award, in recognition of our commitment to equality and diversity.


Follow @sheffielduni and @ShefUniJobs on Twitter for more information about what makes the University of Sheffield a remarkable place to work.

If you apply for this position please say you saw it on Computeroxy


All Jobs


Harvard University Academic Positions

Kuwait University Current Faculty Openings

Osaka University Academic Opportunities

Purdue University Job Postings for Faculty Positions

Texas Tech University Faculty Openings

Tsinghua University Job Postings

University of Cambridge Job Openings

University of Geneva Faculty Opportunities

University of New South Wales Job Openings

University of Nottingham Research Positions

University of Oslo Academic Jobs

University of Saskatchewan Faculty Positions

University of Southampton Research Vacancies

University of Tokyo Current Academic Vacancies

University of Toronto Open Faculty Positions